Friday, February 6, 2009

My vacation in Leon etc

After 3 weeks in Somotillo, I was off for a much needed vacation in Leon, one of Nicaragua most beautiful cities! However before that I spent the weekend at my friend Candidas house in a town called Jinotepe. We managed to get a lift down there instead of the 6 hour bus ride (on 4 different buses!) but the car was jam packed and for the whole 4 hours I was couldnt move a whole lot and the greater part of my legs were dead... Her family were very welcoming, she has one sister and 3 brothers, one of which can speak perfect English, Spanish, German and French (Woah!) but sadly he is the only one that doesnt live there anymore. One of her other brothers began English lessons while I was there and was very greatful that I could help him with his homework. They took me out to the market and to get hamburgers at night and when I said I liked one of the girls t-shirts she gave it to her mum who took it in at the sides and gave it to me as a gift! They were very generous and it was a really nice weekend.
On the Sunday I caught a bus up to Leon to meet my friend Lauren and another girl she knows called Jana who is from Germany. It was rather interesting because Lauren speaks English and Spanish, Jana speaks German, Spanish and can understand English but finds it hard to speak and I know English and a tiny bit of Spanish! So the language was constantly changing between English and Spanish, occassionaly even in the same sentance.
We spent 2 nights at a really cool youth hostel in Leon and did a bit of shopping and looking around the city. I bought a few things, a cool pair of jeans that were only about $20!
Then came the part I have been waiting for my whole time here..... The beach! Of course to get there we had to take another jam packed boiling sweaty bus road over a bumpy dirt road but it was well worth it. Our dorm room was literally on the beach and when I woke up in the morning I could see the water and feel the breeze, yay!
We spent a night there and swam during the day, drunk exotic juices and watched the sunset over the water, the perfect few days I would have to say. In the morning Lauren and I took a boat ride up a river to an island that apparantly had emerald pools to swim at...If there were we certainly didnt see them sadly! Although it was still a nice wee boat ride and something a bit different.
After our trip to the beach we spent another night at the hostel in Leon and had like the best meals of our lives... It was such a novelty to get to choose what you want to eat because in Somtillo its pretty much Gullo Pinto, Gullo Pinto, Fried bananas and more Gullo Pinto (Rice and beans). We also bought icecream and cooked up apples and cinamon for dessert and finished off a packet of mini reeses peanut butter cups (my absolute favourite!)
So all in all Leon was the perfect break and really good to catch up with Lauren and get to know Yana.
Now I am back in Somotillo (I actually missed my friends and family from Somotillo while in Leon) and I think I will spend the rest of my time here- I was going to go to the capital for the last four days but there is a big party here for Valentines Day that everyone is talking about already so I think I will stay for that!
So theres a nice long update for you all, less than 2 weeks left here now but I think weeks will be the perfect amount of time. Im starting to feel sad about leaving and wondering whether I will ever see all these people again but I am also really really looking forward to seeing you all as I do miss you like crazy!
Much love Ruby

1 comment:

  1. Hola Ruby, wow sounds like a wonderful trip - we're so glad that u got to the beach and had a nice break. The Valentines day party sounds like fun - watch your lips, I am sure some of those young men will be vying for your affection (kiss kiss)! It was a scorcher of a day yesterday and we ended up at the beach (Taylors) and the hot weather is set to continue. I nearly passed out in the glasshouse yesterday it was soooo hot. We will make sure we don't have any beans or rice in the menu when u return but will keep a supply in the pantry in case you ever get 'homesick' for them. Take lots of photos of your friends and family so that you can share with us about them. Make the most of every moment with your last 2 weeks - and like you we are very excited to c u soon. Lots a love Mum and Dad ps Harry is out today on set with the crew of "Holy Roller" he's filming the special features!

    ReplyDelete