I arrived in Granada yesterday to start our conference! We got a bus down from Managua and I had a very slow but quite entertaining conversation with a guy called Alejandro who is studying economics at the university. We exchanged email addresses and may meet up later in the capital where I asked him to take me to his church.
It is very hot here and our room is like a little dungeon! Im staying with Lauren, a student from Victoria university and we get along well. Im incredibly greatful that she is here, its helped me to adjust and recover from feeling so home sick!
The conference has been really interesting, I wont go into the content but iv learnt some really cool but random stuff and thankfully a lot of it has been in English!
Im heading up to Somotillo on Monday after a night in the capital and Im feeling slightly anxious about it as I will be the only one who doesnt speak spanish...Lauren has written some helpful things out and helps to interpret for me which is really good!
It is totally different here, little kids dance on the street for money and they will do it in the middle of the road then not move until the people in the cars pay them, quite a good tactic I thought! We had dinner at a restaurant and I only managed to eat half my meal so the kids who linger round while youre eating come and scrape the rest of the food off your plate and sit down beside you on the footpath eating it.
I have put some photos up on my facebook page of LA and Miami but dont have many of Nicaragua yet (will try and get some up soon).
Overall im doing well, recovering from my jetlag and homesickness, but I still feel its going to be a massive challenge but it will be so worth it!
I love you all and miss you lots, thank you for your prayers and comments and I will try to keep everyone updated!
Hola Ruby
ReplyDeleteGreat to read your blog. We went to Granada and stayed in the Arab quarter. I got really sick there so Arnika and Sarita had to organise everything. Just get into everything and don't focus too much on back here in NZ. You will soon get over the culture shock! Good on you Ruby - I'm so jealous!
Jane
Hi Ruby. It's really great to hear you have a room mate in your dungeon! And that the home sickness has nearly gone. We've just come back from camping today - we had stacks of visitors including Kim and Sam and Bry and June. We had some hot weather like you, it was a 36 - 40 degree day here a couple of days ago... that was such hard work in a tent! We look forward to your next update. In the meantime enjoy, have fun and be safe. Before you know it you'll be on a plane homeward bound. Much love Karen, Nev and Blake xx
ReplyDeletemum actually doesnt know what she is on about, we stayed in Granada, Spain, a slightly different continent. Hope all is well and your spanish is bueno or whatever is the right word...see you when your back!
ReplyDelete