Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Granada to Somotillo

Ive always considered myself a rather independent and brave person but theres nothing like putting it to the test! I left Granada on Sunday with Lauren and Julie (my lecturer) and her partner then we had a night in the capital and now my real trip has begun... as in the part where I had to leave my nice friends and become the only one in the entire town who speaks English! I was rather nervous and absolutely exhausted after having 5 hours sleep and waking up to go walking with Lauren on Monday morning at 5.30am! The drive up to Somotillo was 4 hours and the last hour was extremely bumpy and dark abd rather scary!
I arrived at mi casa and im definitely more aware of the fact that im in a third world country.... Its crazy but the family were so so nice and the teenage girls age 18 and 19 took me walking around the villiage and introduce me to people and we spent hours with a big group and English and Spanish books having a good laugh. Today I am working at INGES (The organization) to see what they do etc. We have been using the internet to translate for us but Im worried I am more of a burden than a help! The girl who is here to work with me is really good though and she said it doesnt matter because she wants to improve her English so she is happy.
I am here for 2 weeks at this stage then in Leon on vacation for 1 week and back up here for another 2 weeks before I go home!
At the moment I am just trying to adjust to a very simple lifestyle (no shower just a bucket etc) praying that I dont get sick and getting use to eating their food...rice and beans extravanganza!
I may not be able to update this as much these coming two weeks but I will try!

3 comments:

  1. Passed NCEA yay! Sachi came over the other night and joined me chris ben tess etc playing articulate cause she has no friends to hang out with haha. Hope the village is fun and you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruby It's Tuesday night and Harry has just been for dinner, great to hear his success with NCEA. Nev, Karen and Blake come for dinner Sunday night, Boston came too as we had a thunder storm and it was his first experience with thunder. Always look forward to reading your blog and waiting for your next instalment. What great stories you'll have to tell us when you get home all about your new experiences. Lots of love always June and Bryan xx

    ReplyDelete